Tuesday, August 4, 2015

#Behind the Hashtag

#Behind the Hashtag

This week, I noticed my phone buzzing a bit more than usual.  No, my friends were not calling or texting exorbitantly.  (No really, I have friends!) I get notifications when a hashtag is “trending” among the organizations and people I follow on Twitter, and this week was particularly busy. 
Here’s what was trending:
#ActuallyWomen
This hashtag was started by @reproaction in response to the most recent anti-choice stunt against Planned Parenthood.  Read more about what they have to say here!
#FriendshipDay
It turns out Friendship Day started in Paraguay!  The UN General Assembly officially recognized July 30th as “International Day of Friendship” in 2011.  Who knew?!
#SamDubose
Sam Dubose was an unarmed black man unjustly killed by a white police officer.  Disturbing video footage from a body camera helped indict former University of Cincinnati Police Officer Ray Tensing, which is a step forward, but we still have a long way to go
#M4BL
The “Movement For Black Lives” held a national convention in Cincinnati, Ohio on Jul 24th-26th!  Check out the website here.